£250 -£300 speakers - Floor standers or Stand Mount

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have a somewhat limited budget of between £250 - 300, and was wondering what I could get for that price that would fill a 4m * 5m room. Would consider decent s/h. Love listening to mostly Jazz, Funk, r&b and blues. Need to have a room filling sound if possible with great detail espicially for jazz.

I have auditioned the MA BR2, BR5 and RS6, they all sound very good, but was wondering what else to consider

Thanks

Jazz

A

Anonymous

You are doing well so far, but have a look at the Rega R1's and if you can stretch the B&W 685's, both of which will play your choice of music splendidly!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
You may struggle to find the B&W 685s in your price range.

You may however find a pair of B&W 602 S3s on eBay or as clearance stock somewhere. They're bigger than the 685s, but this means they have a lot of traits of a floorstander with a big sound, without the boominess that can sometimes accompany a floorstander.

I've had mine for 6 years and have no desire to replace them, they're great speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I will consider the b&w's though when I heard the 685's they were a bit difficult to drive. Just wondering if these stand mounts would fill a room my size about 20sq m.

anyway there is a Sevenoaks just next to me, so might do some lunchtime listening.

John Duncan

For 250/300, definitely go standmount. Like wine, at that price most of the money goes on the packaging and not enough on the contents......

You'll need some stands though obviously - eBay is very much your friend in that regard.

A

Anonymous

Thats what I will have to do. Would I get a room filling sound from stand mounts though?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
jazzmaster:Thats what I will have to do. Would I get a room filling sound from stand mounts though?
Unless your room is mahoosive, you'll be fine. My room is about 4m x 5m. My speakers are 90db sensitive, my amp is 40w RMS per channel.

I never have it past 10 o'clock on the volume.

Oh. And before you think perhaps I like to listen to music quietly, I'll say one thing. I'm a drummer in a metal band.

:)

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, this has really sold it for me. I am about 5mins work from a Sevenoaks, and I did go in there yesterday, looked at the BR2 and RS1, but did not hear them. The RS1 are retailing for about £350, hoping I can get an ex-display. I will be looking to mount them on the soundstyle z2. Not looking to change my cd player and amp just yet.

A

Anonymous

Hi John,

Would you consider these AVI Neutron IVs as good or better than the B&W 685 (also considering Leema Xeros, ATC 12 & PMC DB1+). There's a good offer on those AVIs (ex demo) where I live. I am wondering if its a good match for my new Naim Nait5i. Hope you could advise me before I take the plunge or at least audition it with my amp. Tq
emotion-1.gif

Regards,

Zam

A

Anonymous

OK, I will try that and see what they say. Just got quotes from Bartletts for the BR2 - £213, and RS1 -£349. But will see hifi gear say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts