£200 to buy a new stereo amplifer

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
My 2.5 year old Marantz PM6004 is dead....well needs a new microprocessor board at £150.

Despite the issue first arising 8 months after purchase (and fixed at that point), marantz will not help with the cost of this fix, which I find disappointing. (Although a strong letter is headed their way!)

So, with £200 to spend, and an 'anti Marantz' feel, what replacement amplifiers would be worth considering?

I did think the Pioneer A30 looked good, with 40 watts rms and a power amp direct feature (use stereo amp to drive front speakers in AV), after being so impressed with their SC2023 that I purchased recently.

Any thoughts?

I'd take a close look at and listen to the Denon PMA720 or the Yamaha AS500, though I think they are rather differently 'voiced', so a try out in your system is vital. I'm less familiar with the Pioneer, but they have a great heritage and good reputation for current models like their streamers.

If you are in the UK and buy from Richer Sounds, you can get a 5 year warranty for 10% extra. I needed it once and it worked well.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
There are the usual suspects at this price point - the Pioneer A30 is definately worth a look and has been well reviewed. It will also match your other Pioneer kit.

The Denon PMA720AE and Onkyo A9030 are two others I would try and listen to.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
I'd take a close look at and listen to the Denon PMA720 or the Yamaha AS500, though I think they are rather differently 'voiced', so a try out in your system is vital. I'm less familiar with the Pioneer, but they have a great heritage and good reputation for current models like their streamers.

If you are in the UK and buy from Richer Sounds, you can get a 5 year warranty for 10% extra. I needed it once and it worked well.

I heard the Yamaha and PM6004 and came home with the Marantz so I'd imagine I still don't like the Yamaha.

Got my Pioneer SC2023 from richer sounds and got the 5 year warranty too. I try and get things from there due to their well priced extended warranties when possible.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
CarlDW said:
There are the usual suspects at this price point - the Pioneer A30 is definately worth a look and has been well reviewed. It will also match your other Pioneer kit.

The Denon PMA720AE and Onkyo A9030 are two others I would try and listen to.

Thanks....2 votes for the Denon, so I'll check it out. ....although Marantz and Denon are owned by the same company.

My new AV receiver replaced the Denon AVR2310 too.....I find the Pioneer better to my ears.

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Are you set on buying new? Might be worth looking at ex-dem or even S/H. For just a few hairs over your budget I've seen a Rega Brio-R and a Roksan Kandy K1 Mark 3 go. Both would give a significant improvement over the Marantz in my opinion. As always, demo where possible!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
As an alternative suggestion, you could buy this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-TA-F670ES-STEREO-AMPLIFIER-ST-SE500-TUNER-/261589967059?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3ce7fa20d3

Either keep the tuner or sell it for £20.

Or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-TA-FB940R-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-/261588848316?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3ce7e90ebc

Or something like them. Google them for more info.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
As an alternative suggestion, you could buy this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-TA-F670ES-STEREO-AMPLIFIER-ST-SE500-TUNER...

Either keep the tuner or sell it for £20.

Or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-TA-FB940R-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-/26...

Or something like them. Google them for more info.

The Sony 670ES is a good shout, you could even get a 770ES for £200 if you are really lucky. Great amps, oodles of power, lots of inputs and flexible too. I've had Three 770ES and a 670ES, mine have been fine but some this age might need a service, one thing to think of though.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Tell us the full story! Why won't Marantz help? If the kit was repaired under warranty that extends under UK consumer law for repeats of a failure. Why aren't you pressing your case? If they are at fault a small claims case would make them concede in 5 minutes flat. There is no way a company like Marantz would fight a valid case.

Chris

matthewpiano

Covenanter said:
Tell us the full story! Why won't Marantz help? If the kit was repaired under warranty that extends under UK consumer law for repeats of a failure. Why aren't you pressing your case? If they are at fault a small claims case would make them concede in 5 minutes flat. There is no way a company like Marantz would fight a valid case.

Chris

What he said.

with £200.00, i would highly reccommend buying the best arcam amplifier you can get, you should be able to get an A85 at a push, or an alpha 9. have a look around, i really rate arcam amps, they've got a bit of sparkle, that makes them quite special. i still have an a70 in a second system, i don't want to part with it. such a cracking little amp.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, The Pioneer A30 is a very good budget amp but I'm not sure whether it will go well with your KEFs. Can you take them to a shop to listen? Have you got any warmer sounding speakers like Dali, Boston Acoustics or Wharfedales?

Theres always the NAD C316BEE but a bit over budget.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If you could stretch your budget a bit I'd personally seriously consider something like this NAD C370. Yes it's secondhand, but it's claimed to of been overhauled...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-C370-Graphite-Integrated-Amplifier-Remote-Manual-/151400768642?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2340306482

The C370 is a phenomenal amplifier!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:

Chris

Full story is it was repaired within a few hours of the tech guy looking at it at the shop it was bought from, who are a Marantz authorised dealership. Marantz have told them that because they have no record of the fault at their service centres, it is something they can't help with...thus the 'strong' letter from me heading their way! Clearly they don't take their own dealerships word much! (I do have a repair receipt to verify the issue too)

As the original repair took very little time, and the fact that the intermittent issue only occurred once in a while at that time, it was suggested by the shop that the machine was merely reset, which solved the problem. The issue is now a lot more frequent and resetting will not cure the problem everytime, which is why a new microprocessor board is needed. Of course, that suggests one was needed on initial inspection, but as the issue was so intermittent it would have been hard to diagnose this.

The shop in question has been great throughout. Marantz on the other hand have not.....In my opinion! Although Marantz did send the circuit diagrams to the shop in order for their qualified tech guy to see if he could help.

Shame really, as I've bought a lot of equipment from Marantz throughout my years in hifi ...All of which has been great, and reliable. But it only takes one poor customer experience to 'sour' the taste, so to speak.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
If you could stretch your budget a bit I'd personally seriously consider something like this NAD C370. Yes it's secondhand, but it's claimed to of been overhauled...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-C370-Graphite-Integrated-Amplifier-Remote-...

The C370 is a phenomenal amplifier!

Thanks for all suggestions so far. Ideally I'd prefer new, but have been looking at Nad machines on auction sites too.

I do need it to switch on/off and change inputs via remote control for AV use though. Something I didn't mention before.

Power amp direct feature is a real bonus, which is why I noticed the Pioneer A30. But it's not essential, as the PM6004 didn't have it.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Blackdawn said:
Hi, The Pioneer A30 is a very good budget amp but I'm not sure whether it will go well with your KEFs. Can you take them to a shop to listen? Have you got any warmer sounding speakers like Dali, Boston Acoustics or Wharfedales?

Theres always the NAD C316BEE but a bit over budget.

New Q series are not as 'lean' as the old version. They are seen as a neutral sounding speaker, and I love detail in my music anyway. :)

Tannoyed

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Yamaha AS 500 loads of power and cheap. Perhaps not the most subtle. Avoid second hand and certainly don't buy anything more than a very few years old.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Tannoyed said:
Yamaha AS 500 loads of power and cheap. Perhaps not the most subtle. Avoid second hand and certainly don't buy anything more than a very few years old.

As mentioned earlier, I demo'd the Yamaha when I bought the Marantz. Didn't like the Yamaha, I'm afraid. Thanks for the idea though.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
dont know if anyones recommend a nad 316bee............i read that it may only be 40 watts butit has power to spare way beyond its spec..........

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Have u home demoed the yamaha with kef q100? I have the same combination , it sound good with most music types baring some rock (viz. linkin park , limp bizkits). hoping to add a good cd player or MF V90 dac to complete the setup. Kef Q100 are great little speakers, but it doesnt get to much mention here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts