£200 headphones

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I'm looking for some over ear headphones for use both in the home and at college. I listen to pretty much everything except R&B. Things fairly high on my list of priorities are good vocals and punchy bass. Noise cancelling technology isn't a must, as I'll have them fairly loud anyway. I need them to not be imensely loud to others around me as well. My main source will be My iPhone 4, which has mainly 320Kbps MP3s on it. An iPhone remote isn't definitely required but would be nice, though I've heard these can have a negative effect on SQ.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
If you need a good heahphone for your iPhone 4 I strongly recommend Bowers & Wilkins B&W P5 Headphones. However you may not be able to get one new with your budget but there are a few used ones in eBay meeting your requirement.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I picked up some Klipsch x10i's for 170 on well known auction site. Excellent headphones for my ipod when im on the move and I highly recommend them!

Or if you are after ear cans, how about some Grado headphones like the Sr80i.

duaplex said:
I picked up some Klipsch x10i's for 170 on well known auction site. Excellent headphones for my ipod when im on the move and I highly recommend them!

Or if you are after ear cans, how about some Grado headphones like the Sr80i.

If you re-read his post you will see he is looking for over-ear cans that are not 'leaky'.

I am not sure what your two suggestions are for as they would not seem very suitable for the OP as one is in-ear and the Grado's leak like hell!

This post may get more responses if it was moved to the 'Headphones' section .................possibly a job for Andrew?

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Cheers for the responses guys, I've not yet heard the P5's so may be worth a look in . . Though I do prefer "over ear" to "on ear".

I may well get light abuse for this, but I tried the Bose Quietcomfort 15s the other day in work (Currys). And despite really not liking Bose as a company, they were very good. Plus I get 10% off as I work there. So can be had for near enough £250.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know P5 uses memory foam to automatically fit in the shape of your ears and you should wear it with pleasure. Having said sound might leak out a bit :( . AKG K702 is also an excellent headphone (now only £188 in Amazon) but I am afraid your iPhone 4 has insufficient power to drive it unless you buy a small amplifier unit :doh:

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've owned P5s since June 2010, and the only time I've been asked to turn them down was last night, incidentally, sitting in a quiet car right next to the know-it-all 14 year old. I tend to push them at about 3/4 volume on my iPod touch, and I refuse to believe that people on public transport are too polite to tell me to knock the noise down.

I am an advocate of the P5s for commuting- have done since I've bought them, and quite at home with the mix of Imogen Heap to Slayer that I put through them. They aren't Grado SR325is, but they do the job.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Ryan92 said:
Cheers for the responses guys, I've not yet heard the P5's so may be worth a look in . . Though I do prefer "over ear" to "on ear".

I may well get light abuse for this, but I tried the Bose Quietcomfort 15s the other day in work (Currys). And despite really not liking Bose as a company, they were very good. Plus I get 10% off as I work there. So can be had for near enough £250.

For me the quietcomfort are a step up from the p5. I found the P5 a little dull in comparison. Another one to look at would be the beyerdynamic t50p, I have not heard them myself but are in about your price range and have had some good reviews! It may be worth looking at some of the audio Technica phones, I liked the ess5 and they are well under budget!

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Another thought would be Goldring ns1000. I really liked the sound when I had them, lots of punch. The problem I had with them was I found I got a lot of interference when the noise cancelling was on when used with my iPhone so I got rid of them. Apart from that I think they are a bargain!

A

Anonymous

ryan92
why dont you try the latest what hifi award winning headphones Audio Technica ATH-ES55 i have these and sound fantastic and look really smart to and are very comfortable and for 90pounds they are a bit of a bargain otherwise seinhisser headphones are also very good to.

regards 80s boy

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Ryan92 said:
Hey, I'm looking for some over ear headphones for use both in the home and at college. I listen to pretty much everything except R&B. Things fairly high on my list of priorities are good vocals and punchy bass. Noise cancelling technology isn't a must, as I'll have them fairly loud anyway. I need them to not be imensely loud to others around me as well. My main source will be My iPhone 4, which has mainly 320Kbps MP3s on it. An iPhone remote isn't definitely required but would be nice, though I've heard these can have a negative effect on SQ.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Ultrasone HFI-780 - not noise cancelling but isolate well, punchy bass, search around for best price (Thomann in Germany is a good place to look, they ship to UK for 10 euros).

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
Sennheiser PXC 250-II Foldable Closed-Back Stereo Mini Headphones with Noiseguard Active Noise Cancellation

on rainforest site ....down from £140 to £90

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Again, thanks guys.

Anyone know of anywhere that would have these out to demo? I do like the look of a few mentioned but am reluctant to part with a fairly considerable amount of money (to me anyway) without hearing them. I'm based in the north west around liverpool if anyone else knows of a few dealers.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Ryan92 said:
Again, thanks guys.

Anyone know of anywhere that would have these out to demo? I do like the look of a few mentioned but am reluctant to part with a fairly considerable amount of money (to me anyway) without hearing them. I'm based in the north west around liverpool if anyone else knows of a few dealers.
Richer sounds often have the audio Technica and some of the senheiser phones mentioned. Apple stores often have the Bose and b&w p5. They are connected to the store iPods but if you ask they will let you plug them into your iPhone.

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I had a listen to the P5s, thoroughly enjoyed. A quick google shows them available for around £160 from here:

http://www.focalprice.com/EP730B/Bowers__Wilkins_P5_PU_Leather_Stereo_Headphone_Mobile_HiFi_with_35mm_Jack_10m_Cord_for_MP3MP4iPhoneiPadiPod_Black.html?utm_source=CS&utm_medium=GM_UK&utm_campaign=CS_GM_UK_EP730B

Is this too good to be true? Anyone bought from here in the past?

KT66

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
For home get some Grado SR60s

For travelling the Senn PX200 is still the king closed on the move can.

I was very disappointed with the P5s, they didn't sound flat to me at all, to me my Px200s sound more accurate.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Audio Technica award winners were fabulous! Sounds better than my previous phones, Gradio 60. What HI-FI award winners should not be taken lightly, even if they don't weight much.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
NHL said:
Audio Technica award winners were fabulous! Sounds better than my previous phones, Gradio 60. What HI-FI award winners should not be taken lightly, even if they don't weight much.

As much as i liked the audio Technica I can not agree that they sound better than the Grado sr60, but then again the grados are no good for sound leakage!

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I did have a listen to the Grados, there is no doubting there performance, and for home I agree that they would be ideal. Though when taking them off still playing I was horrified by the amount of leakage (obviously a llittle louder when off than worn) but I cannot get away with using these in college, doing work in a pretty quiet room is really not okay. Unless I went for the Grado SR80i which I think are £110 from Richersounds then spend about £90 on some decent portables . .

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi There

I can thoroughly recommend the Sennheiser HD380 pro's.

They are over ear, closed back, they fold down flat into a neat case and sound great.

I use them at home when the family are about and are great for sound insulation in and out.

They are not the smallest when you put them on but they seem to meet all your requirements.

My brother also has a pair and he loves them too! They are also well in your price range

(approx £100)

Cheers Ed

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts