£1600 to spend!!

Peter Bleakley

Feb 21, 2008
Visit site
I've got this to spend on a hi-fi system (having got a refund on a watch). I'm looking for a system with bookcase speakers. I need it to play accassional DVD's if this is possible. Not sure to go down the NAD viso/B+W 685 route or separates. Not a lot of experience on this but would appreciate some expert advice. Many thanks.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Not a stupid question at all!

For DVD, you would need the Solo Movie, which will eat your budget by itself (£1450 for the 2.1 version and £1700 for the 5.1)...

However, decent DVD players are pretty cheap these days, and the analog outputs from one of them can be connected into the normal Solo's aux inputs to provide damn good sound...

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Yep, in the same way as you would connect a DVD player - using the analog outputs. It's worth stating (although perhaps obvious) that it would still only be 2-channel i.e. not surround.

Peter Bleakley

Feb 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for this. I thought that although it's not a problem as we don't watch too many films anyway, mainly listen to music. This is why I thought the NAD Viso Five might be a good option as I could eventually use the 5.1 feature but initial just have it as 2 channel. Do you think the sound from the Arcam would be much better?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I must admit, starting from scratch with this I would seriously consider the AVI ADM9s.

Add a good solid DVD player (say Marantz DV7001), and a digital cable, and thats it. Very neat solution.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
That was my hint for Ashley to come online with!

Have a look at http://www.avihifi.co.uk/ Their ADM9s are £1000, have a built in amp and Digital-to-Analog convertor, so as Fr0g rightly says, all you need is a DVD player and a digital lead from the player to the speakers.

Quite a few people on here (including an WHF official review) have said just how suprised they were when they heard them, with people saying that a £1500 ADM9 + source system compares very favourably with a £3000+ separates system.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:That was my hint for Ashley to come online with!

Sorry, yes, thats what got me thinking.
If I were to start over I think I'd be very tempted. My other half would be extremely happy too!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Peter Bleakley:Can you connect sky+ to the Solo?

Stereo RCA into Solo Music (stereo only)
Optical digital into Solo Movie. (Dolby Digital 5.1 etc)

Check out the ADM9s tho too as suggested for a very high quality stereo only option.

Peter Bleakley

Feb 21, 2008
Visit site
Cheers. The ADM9's look good. If I wanted DAB as well - how would this work if I only had a CD/DVD/Blue Ray player connected to the speakers? (Hope this isn't me just being a bit slow!)

A

Anonymous

Peter Bleakley:Thanks for this. I thought that although it's not a problem as we don't watch too many films anyway, mainly listen to music. This is why I thought the NAD Viso Five might be a good option as I could eventually use the 5.1 feature but initial just have it as 2 channel. Do you think the sound from the Arcam would be much better?WHFS&V said the nad is very serious competition for the solo so you may not notice that much of a difference (£500 or so worth).

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Peter Bleakley:Cheers. The ADM9's look good. If I wanted DAB as well - how would this work if I only had a CD/DVD/Blue Ray player connected to the speakers? (Hope this isn't me just being a bit slow!)

I wouldn't bother with DAB if you have Sky+ attached as you already have all the stations. They sound very nice coming from the Sky box too...

A

Anonymous

I was told about these ADM9 on this forum and think they fantasitco sistem for simple and good sound.

Plug in a PS3 and you can play BluRay DVD and game and also stream WAV into the DAC.

That's everything you ever need in simple package.

Also could try Squeezebox. Internet Radio will have more variety than DAB, which is not available where I live in Milan anyway. Music breaks up a little. Is not constant.

Arcam Solo not very good. I have not heard ADM9 yet. Don't know if can listen near Milan?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
santino.b.it:

I was told about these ADM9 on this forum and think they fantasitco sistem for simple and good sound.

Plug in a PS3 and you can play BluRay DVD and game and also stream WAV into the DAC.

That's everything you ever need in simple package.

Also could try Squeezebox. Internet Radio will have more variety than DAB, which is not available where I live in Milan anyway. Music breaks up a little. Is not constant.

Arcam Solo not very good. I have not heard ADM9 yet. Don't know if can listen near Milan?

I have recently and bar a lean bottom end and slight lack of mid/bass punch they are absolutely awesome. Should audition the new versions in a couple of weeks or so and am looking forward to it. Imo impossible to better for that 'live music feel' for the money though a warmer perhaps more emotive pairing could be achieved (at more cost nevertheless) though the trade ins are large and probably not worth it. Especially considering that adding a good sub would probably eleviate the small problem mentioned and balance the system perfectly. A giant killer as it is but the potential should be seriously worrying for some established hifi manufacturers. Of course, at the end of the day the AVI sound is not for everyone so auditioning is important but dont be surprised if you end up spending a lot less than you intended.

A

Anonymous

Thank you man drummer.

You take a lot of time to respond to my post.

You are real English gent.

Thanks.

Peter Bleakley

Feb 21, 2008
Visit site
And all my worries about compatibility, cables, connections, power surge protection will all disappear?....... Cheque's in the post!! Thanks for the stress management solution.

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
Peter Bleakley:And all my worries about compatibility, cables, connections, power surge protection will all disappear?....... Cheque's in the post!! Thanks for the stress management solution. no worries :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts