£1000 system... suggestions?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

my first post here...
emotion-1.gif

I would like to upgrade my old system - Marantz CD player, Harman-Kardon amp and Monitor Audio speakers (bought in 1992!) - and I only have £1000 to spend. I have two options: acquiring CD + amp + speakers or just amp + speakers to be used with my MP3 player. I am more interested in a well put-together system - with components that suit each other - than in 5 star products. My ideal would be a warm/punchy system, with floorstanding speakers. BTW, I listen mainly to metal...
emotion-8.gif

Any suggestions welcome.

G

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Welcome

There's all sorts of routes you could go down for a 'warm & punchy' system

Personally i'd look at brand new speakers Standmounters - B&W 685's or 2nd hand on Ebay - B&W 602 S's or the 602 S3's partnered with good, mass loadable speakers stands

Or Floorstanders - B&W 603 S2's or 603 S3's OR Monitor Audio BR5's or the RS6's (which ive got and must say theyre fantastic).

As for amps i'd look at 2nd hand also - Musical Fidelity X-A1 or the X-A2 amps are very good, NAD C352, Cyrus 6amp or the 6v2 if you can find one at a good price. Arcam Alpha 9 or 10 integrated amps would suit your taste in music very well and go extremely well with either the B&W or Monitor Audio speakers. You can also later upgrade the amps with the power amp enabling you to bi-amp the speakers giving you a broader, more rich soundstage.

As for CD players, Arcam Alpha 8SE or 9 CD player would be very good as would the Arcam CD72 or the CD73. The NAD C542 CD player is very good (you can get a v good offer on both the NAD C352 amp and C542 CD player combo on www.superfi.co.uk)

Ebay is a great place for all the above. It would be ideal if you can demo the equipment but i know its not always possible for some people.

I listen to quite a lot of modern electronic music and house music (Fischerspooner, Hed Kandi, Leftfield, Underworld, Daft Punk) but i listen to a fair bit of metal too (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Tool, SOAD, Linkin Park etc).

My system (as listed below) sounds fantastic and would hartedly reccomend it to anyone!

A

Anonymous

Cheers for that, good pointers. I would like to add that the room is 2.8m x 5m (narrow and longish) with soft furnishings (sofa and rugs), tiled floor and wooden venetian blinds. Ah, and for floorstanding I meant 'floorstanders'...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With that size room, in my opinion, floorstanders would be overkill! They would provide 'too much' sound and bass and would appear quite boomy i think

A good pair of standmount speakers with good loaded stands will provide more than enough punch and warmth!

Definitly consider the previously mentioned B&W standmount speakers as well as Monitor Audio BR2's or the RS1's.

A

Anonymous

thank you. I think you are right... I forgot to mention the size of the room in the first place, which, of course, is quite important.

John Duncan

Rega Planet (one on now for 320 quid Buy It Now) and a Mira (there's only a silver one on there just now, which doesn't match the black Planet). You could get both of those for 600 quid and buy a 400 quid pair of speakers. Not 'accurate', but they'd suit your music I think.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ignore all of the advise received so far. Take your lovely ginger beard to a good dealer with choice and ... listen for yourself. Enjoy

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... or ... failing all that ... listen to me ... which as we all know ... is the only sensible option
emotion-1.gif
:

Rega Brio, Rega Apollo, Rega R3 ... a grand and it rocks, sooths, glows nicely, looks great and makes coffee. The Apollo is the weak link but works well with the Brio. It wont blow your windows out or re-arrange your lovely ginger beard but it'll go plenty loud and is a bit of an allrounder. You'd have to spend a lot more to get better sound. How's that.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
... Unless thats Fidel Castro on your picture, in which case ... take him with you.
[/quote]

lol

A

Anonymous

yes, sorry to unsettle you... it's Fidel, but just for a laugh... :) my warped sense of humor! Thanks for all the suggestions until now. I appreciate it...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]I'd spend the £1000 on AMp and speakers myself. Upgrade the CD later if you need to. Whats your CD player?

[/quote]

It's an old Marantz CD52 MkII, bought in 1992... :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="giotto"][quote user="fr0g"]I'd spend the £1000 on AMp and speakers myself. Upgrade the CD later if you need to. Whats your CD player?

[/quote]

It's an old Marantz CD52 MkII, bought in 1992... :)[/quote]
Pretty old :)
Is it in good nick? Might be worth adding a cheap DAC, such as the Beresford?[/quote]

yes, it's still fine. Everything works. I think the DAC idea is pretty good. I'll keep that in mind! Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts