£1000 LOUD floorstanders

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Right guys due to an unforseen series of events I have £1000 to drop on some floorstanders, want as much bass as possible and for it to go as low as possible xx High power handling AND sensitivity would be nice and a bombproof tweeter is defineately preferable, 2nd hand is fine, size no object. Want something to blow my valdus 500's out the water in every aspect, which shouldnt be too hard given the abuse I seem to get for owning them on this forum...

amplifier is arcam alpha 9 but i may sell it for a behringer a500 if i need more power.

Don't know if its possible but 20hz extension would make me a very happy man. If i have to get a sub then forget it.

T

the record spot

Yep, rumour had it that the CV guys used Iron Maiden when testing their new speakers. Sums it up nicely. Failing, and if you can find them, RRR-FS100s have depth plumbing bass but likely difficult to find. Not sure how KEFs Q700s are, but they've got plenty of drivers on them...!

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
hi,

Sure there are many but B&W 684' s certainly have the oomph and would go well with arcam,I had this combination with lots of rock reggae and was happy for many years.

G

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
Not sure how KEFs Q700s are, but they've got plenty of drivers on them...!

The KEFs won't have twin 15" bass drivers (each cabinet) like the Cerwin Vega XLS-215. (£1250 a pair)

However, even these won't be enough for the OP.

Cerwin Vega only rate them down to 38hz (+/- 3db) and 36hz (+/- 10db).

The OP wants speakers to go down to 20hz and does not want to use a subwoofer.

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
with no mention of sound quality, you would be far better off with PA speakers:

I've always been a fan of JBL. How about these:

http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/pa-systems-live-sound/jbl-jrx125-dual-passive-speakers-jrx-125-pair.htm

and Mackie stuff is great too - chuck in one of these too for your budget!

http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/dj-equipment/dj-speakers/mackie-srm1801-powered-subwoofer.htm

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
markyd said:
with no mention of sound quality, you would be far better off with PA speakers:

We've told him that over and over again (this is the "abuse" he's talking about, not because he owns the valdus but because he's using them for "raves" in his basement). You're wasting your breath frankly, he's asked the same question about half a dozen times recently and hasn't listened to any of the answers.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
the record spot said:
Not sure how KEFs Q700s are, but they've got plenty of drivers on them...!

The KEFs won't have twin 15" bass drivers (each cabinet) like the Cerwin Vega XLS-215. (£1250 a pair)

However, even these won't be enough for the OP.

Cerwin Vega only rate them down to 38hz (+/- 3db) and 36hz (+/- 10db).

The OP wants speakers to go down to 20hz and does not want to use a subwoofer.

Quite. Unfortunately the OP also doesn't have the budget for a set of Wilson Alexandria X2's either.

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I used to put on Raves in my youth with PA's I designed and ran (built by a chippie friend). For the bass end I had 4 x 18" horn loaded scoops and 4 x twin 18" Reflex cabs all with 600w RMS drivers. 400w Bullet tweeters and 4-way crossovers. Never blew anything and that stuff pounded at full volume for hours - days even!

I know a little about getting good bass, and if this guy is putting on partys, he can forget about hi-fi and get some heavy duty hardware. But then it sounds like you know that.

Running123 - seriously - buy some PA gear. It's what you want/need for the purpose. You need killowatts ;-)

A

Anonymous

Keep it audiophile...

Sell the Arcam Alpha 9; buy and Arcam Alpha 10 and some B&W 683's OR some 2nd hand B&W 684's or Monitor Audop RS8's or RX6's and add a sub

You could then look to add the Arcam Alpha 10P power amp at a later date; would be a superb combo...

Sounds superb loud as well
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

Think i've narrowed it down to the celestion a3's cerwin vega xls 215, klipch rf82mk2 or rf83mk1 and if I can demo some RRR-FS100 then i will try them they certainly look good, thanks for these suggestions. I think the xl215's or celestion a3's are looking like my favorites at the moment. This is for hifi listening but I just happen to like it loud...as for the b and w I just don't see them furfilling my needs I have only heard the 685 and it sounded nice but I don't think even the 683 will play loud enough, the bass drivers are smaller and fewer than that which I already have and I seem to have a psychological disorder where I always have to have something bigger and better...(better being relative here with the valdus) The same goes for monitor audio unfortuneately (The rx6 did sound good just didn't have the slam I'm looking for). I will forget about 20hz until I get enough money to build a sub with a lms ultra 5400. I will consider the alpha 10 in the future but i think maybe the arcam sound is not really what I am looking for, so may try a more neutral amp.

As for me not listening to suggestions, this is not true and I have purcased one of them (beringer supercrossover). I am not asking the same question over and over again. I never had the budget for new speakers and now I do I'm not going to waste it on pa gear I won't really get to appreciate and I hate the sound of it. You guys are more gulity of not taking into account information than me, I expressed on multiple occasions that the speakers were sufficient and they are, it was the amp causing the problems. Yet despite this nonsensical advice for pa (some of which wouldn't even deliver the same spl's as the valdus) was contantly trust at me. As for the overexcursion throwing more current at it exacerbated the problem which i knew it would, i have solved the problem with a crossover, thankyou for whoever suggested the item.

As I've previously stated in the basement due to the room acoustics you don't need massive speakers to get massively loud. Due to its size and stone walls I get stronger midbass here from the valdus speakers and lowishbass from my sub (down to 30hz) than you get from most clubs from arrays of 18's, they have to fill a massive space, I don't.

as for pa almost all of it sounds like ####, I have been to many of the best clubs across the globe and very few of them have a sound system I have actually liked. Funktion one is stupidly overrated and perspnally I find them lacking in bass punch, they don't really seem to hit you in the chest and sound a bit flabby (to me anyway), this is different from extension, martin audio I find a bit screechy and as far as I'm aware these are two of the best brands available at any price. I'm not saying pa can't sound good as I've been to some events where the sound was amazing but they are few an far between. Privelidge ibiza is the biggest (by no means best) club in the world and half the time it sounds like the dj is trainwrecking even though he isnt because of the horrific room echoes across the vast space. You could fill that space with 800 series speakers and it would sound like ####.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What your asking is not easy for £1000 (new).

My suggestions (though not exactly as per spec) are:

Find a little extra for Dynaudio DM 3/7 (known for bass) - maybe ex-demo
Consider "standmount + sub" route.

Sorry if unhelpful...but you never know.

A

Anonymous

The Alpha 9 is still a great amp but it's overly smooth with the usual Arcam 'warmness' to the soundstage

The Alpha 10 still has the superb overall soundstage but it's much more punchier and taut and doesnt have as much 'warmness' in it but isnt bright either...

It's was a superb amp in its time and still is; the DiVA ranage after it really let Arcam down IMO and only got good again when the FMJ A32 was about etc...

running123 said:
Right guys due to an unforseen series of events I have £1000 to drop on some floorstanders, want as much bass as possible and for it to go as low as possible xx High power handling AND sensitivity would be nice and a bombproof tweeter is defineately preferable, 2nd hand is fine, size no object. Want something to blow my valdus 500's out the water in every aspect, which shouldnt be too hard given the abuse I seem to get for owning them on this forum...

amplifier is arcam alpha 9 but i may sell it for a behringer a500 if i need more power.

Don't know if its possible but 20hz extension would make me a very happy man. If i have to get a sub then forget it.

Definitely MA RS8s and add a sub to the Alpha 9. Should give you all the bass you'll reasonably need and some.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all the responses, I think I'm going to go with the cerwin vega xls 215's, will wait until a good deal comes along. To me there seems little point in getting a speaker much more refined when my source is a creative soundblaster...The 215's will play (much) louder and sound a lot better than my valdus speakers which is all I really want to be honest. When I get the money I will build a monster sub I think.

Maybe when i grow up ill get something like a pair of monitor audio gold standmounts and a naim cd player, but for the moment I'm happy with loud and good rather than quiet and excellent.

Dunno what to do with the valdus'...there not worth much and it seems like a shame to get rid of them...maybe ill make a tiny 10x10x10in sub with 6x8inch bass drivers on it...each driver has a peak to peak of about 10mm before distortion...add that together thats like an 8inch sub with a peak to peak over 2 inches...should sound pretty good for a tiny cube... :)

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
My suggestion of PA equipment was not nonsensical. It was based on experience of people killing domestic speakers that were not up to the demands of thier SPL requirements.

Some P.A. eqipment is built to standards considerably higher than Hi-fi, but costs accordingly. Meyersound manufacure the best IMO, but they will be out of your price range. As you have found, the room needs to be factored into the equasion, as even great speakers can sound crap in the wrong environment.

You would also do well to look at your amplification. I used to work in a studio where we drove passive mid-field studio monitors rated around 150WPC with 500w Bryston monoblock power-amps. They sounded great and didn't distort at all - you just had to be carefull with the volume control.

Come to think of it, what you really would benefit from would be some large second-hand active studio monitors from the likes of dynaudio, quested or PMC or KRK. Studio monitors are designed for high monitoring levels with lower long-term ear fatigue.

These will no doubt out-perform the Cerwin-Vega's which are very much Lo-Fi, high output.

They have thier place, though not in a Hi-Fi environment.

A

Anonymous

running123 said:
as for pa almost all of it sounds like ####

What is meant by pa, Public Address or Pro-Audio?

Whilst I understand you want to stay within the "Hi Fi" domain, I don't think it is correct to knock Pro-Audio where typically you get more, and in many cases better, sound per pound.

Most people, quite understandably, prefer the home friendly designs and finishes of Hi Fi. In my case I paid extra for the optional chromed fascia plate of my amp. But if I was only looking for sound quality, volume and reliability my first stop would be a Pro-Audio store to audition some powerful active monitor systems.

However as you do not like PA equipment, I agree probably the Cerwin Vegas are exactly what you need, but don't expect Pro-Audio levels of sound quality from these attached to a small Hi Fi amp.

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
hi running.....

can completely agree with you that most pa kit in your budget sounds pants... also agree that most clubs i have been to have shockingly bad sound quality!

the issue you may have though is that because of how you use your gear you may just kill anything you try using. i killed a pair of wharfedale 9.1 through playing way too loud...

so here's another suggestion (it is all theory but go with it), why not get another pair of those valdus 500's? and one or 2 meaty pro-style class d amps? so you have 2 left channel speakers and 2 right channel speakers, like side by side.... make sense? then you get the high volume but with each speaker doing half the work? also this way if one set of speakers blows you still have another to finish the party.....

please someone correct me if this is wrong though, i'm presuming that double the speakers means that each one can work far less hard and the overall sound will be the same volume?

from what you have said before you are happy with the valdus 500's when they work as you want, and already solved one problem with the active cross-over... i think such a set up could be fine for you.

oh and you play dubstep at these parties yea? well dont get anything too hi-fi! just go for loud and durable, anything too good will make dubstep sound utter pants as it is so badly produced and mastered. i think you're current speakers are fine for what you need, but the cerwin vegas could be spot on, if you can afford them.

A

Anonymous

Pretty much decided on 3 pairs of these for my home cinema, Maybe they would be another option for you to look at.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/rtia/index.php?s=rtia9

Same power handling as the Cerwin Vega's but go sub 20hz as you were hoping to find & also look more HiFi.
Can be had on a certain well known auction site for sub £1000 new & with warranty.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
How about the cerwin-vega ve-15f only 1 15" bass driver but gets down to 26hz! fair bit deeper than the twin 15" model and only around £600.
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Hey guys thankyou so much for your replies, in the end I got a good deal on 2 car audio subs (hold your abuse 1 minute, they're good sound quality subs and have a 27mm xmax. Have been used many times in custom home theatres). From a friend who's upgrading to an absooutely insane 30000w system (IN HIS FREAKING CAR)...anyway there by a company called fi car audio and the models I got were the 18inch q, for £50 each. They are the sound quality reference line of the company, and I borrowed a spl meter and measured 120db at 20 hz (corner loaded to be fair) from a sealed enclosure. I didn't think it was possible but I now have as much (and more) bass than I could ever want. Powered by a continuous1200w/ch amp i bought on ebay for £120; wood cost £30 as I already had a bit lying around. So that left me with £800.

For the tops I went with markyd's suggestion (THANKS! THEY'RE AMAZING) of second hand active monitors (Dynaudio BM15A) from a family friend for £600 who recently upgraded his studio to some silly money speakers in the order of £40000 for a 5.1 set. Sold the arcam for £230 (made £60 on the resale). As the subs are directly below the mains I crossed over at 120hz to prevent overexcursion and cannot localise the subs.

I am now completely happy, I think in the end I was never going to be truly happy with either hifi or traditional pro audio systems at this price. Highs are high, mids are clear and I now know what a subwoofer really is...if only all clubs were like this...I PROMISE I WILL NEVER ASK ANY MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT SPEAKERS FOR HOUSE PARTIES (and sorry for being so stubborn, I should have stated my aims more clearly from the beginning and I appreciate your patience).

Put the remaining £430 towards a charity trip driving to Mongolia from London in an ambulance in the "Mongol rally"...know it’s a bit cheeky but it would be massively appreciated it if anyone would donate a bit to charity through our just giving page http://www.justgiving.com/MongolRally123 or http://www.justgiving.com/MongolRally1234 (understand its unlikely, but hey, I’ve got nothing to lose, you can always say no...even a couple of quid would be fantastic) xx

Thanks once again for everything I couldn't have done it without you guys...We are the ONLY house party in Leeds which drops to 20hz with authority...not that the drugged up masses even care...

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
fantastic to hear you reached your goals running....

now enjoy those parties!!! see if you can match mine down here in southampton ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts