£1000.00 for speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm moving house and am looking to buy a set of surround sound speakers (possibly KEF 3005 SE) however after going to Sevenoaks and Loud & Clear in Glasgow I'm more confused than ever as to what I should buy. Cutting my story short I went to Sevenoaks as I knew that they had the KEF speakers, but staff there told me that the KEFs were not that good and started steering me towards B&W MT20s which they said were a much better sounding package. Unfortunately I was unable to hear either speakers but I may orgaise to audition both next weekend. We then went to Loud & Clear to see what they had and were told that a setup based around the MA Radius R90s would be exactly what we needed. Staff in both stores were very good but as I say I'm more confused than ever as I've gone from having a shortlist containing only one model to trying to determine the relative merits of all three. My only reference being the fairly recent supertest where the KEFs came out on top. Any thoughts?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Have a listen to all of them and go with the ones you like best. It really is that simple
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Sounds like an enjoyable way to spend a Saturay morning.

I've never had a proper demo of kit like this before but I have it in my head that I'll take my own amps (Yamaha DSP-E800 and Cambridge Audio stereo amp) to see how they stack up with each speaker while also trying to hear them with one of the recent Onkyo receivers.

It may turn out to be a long day. :)

A

Anonymous

The Kefs are the worst. The B&W M1 are better and the Radius are better again. Another idea is to use the B&W LM1 speakers with the sub from the M1 packages.However, £1000 will buy you stereo speakers that will trounce AV packages.if you listen to music don't use AV stuff!

A

Anonymous

"if you listen to music don't use AV stuff!"

I second that, really. My AV set up was bought purely for TV use. I see the music side as a benefit only, and look at it as a convenience rather than a strong buying point. For me, using my ipod with lossless through the 606 and M1's is about simplicity (I now have one set up in one place that does everything).
I have sacrificed musical quality for lifestyle. I miss the detail in my music (from a top notch cd/amp/stereo speaker set up). I haven't got a stand alone music set up for ONE reason only: no room in my lounge for decent speaker placement and a wife who places less importance on allowing me to have music on when we are both home).
If you are really thinking about music, a seperate system is a MUST. If you have to have a jack of all trades, then it is easy: go for box speakers like the B&W 6 series. I went style speakers knowing I'd lose out sonically, but happy they would be discreet.
Be realistic about budget, use, and placement and you will answer all your questions. Whatever way you go, all in one is always a compromise you have to accept

A

Anonymous

I'm in the same boat as SAP7, my new lounge won't accommodate the placement of 5 dedicated speakers and a sub (neither will my Girlfriend) and as a result I think any compromise on sound quality will be worth it.

In the longrun I may move all of my AV kit to the Garage (who keeps a car in there anyway) and at that point I might consider a more upmarket Stereo System but for now a set of style speakers is going to be better than no speakers at all.

Having said that, I want to get the best allround system (for Music and AV) that my money will allow.

Your thoughts on any other kit that I should audition are greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

MT-30 set up. Huge WAF factor, and you wont need much space. You can get ex demo for under a grand if you search the web, or ask me! If not, may be over your budget but not much more than £1100 if you negotiate.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="qwerty69"]I'm in the same boat as SAP7, my new lounge won't accommodate the placement of 5 dedicated speakers and a sub (neither will my Girlfriend) and as a result I think any compromise on sound quality will be worth it.

In the longrun I may move all of my AV kit to the Garage (who keeps a car in there anyway) and at that point I might consider a more upmarket Stereo System but for now a set of style speakers is going to be better than no speakers at all.

Having said that, I want to get the best allround system (for Music and AV) that my money will allow.

Your thoughts on any other kit that I should audition are greatly appreciated.[/quote] The Radius system, especially if you can get the RSW12 with it will blow the others mentioned away. Not even close in my book. They are quite nice looking, very well built and the sub will blow you away. I am bias but mark my words.

A

Anonymous

Just had a listen to the KEF 3005SEs today and was quite impressed although I'm going to audition the other speakers mentioned throughout this post as well to ensure my money is spent wisely.

I'm quite looking forward to hearing the Radius system but my only reservation is that the Centre speaker Radius 225 may not integrate that well (tonally) with 4 Radius 90s. I know it's all subjective and I can't really comment until I hear the setup, but does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this is really an issue or not?

Also what about the KEF 5005.2 I'm told they may be quite hard to drive but would be a good step up from the KEF 3005SEs?

Next week I hope to test the Radius and B&W setups and I've got to say it's quite an enjoyable way to spend a Saturday (at least until the football season starts again)
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Good afternoon SAP7,

I am also looking to buy the MT-30 system and would appreciate your advice on where to buy them for the ~ £1100 price as I am new to the London market. (just moved here from Sweden)

Thank you!

Tony

A

Anonymous

I've finally managed to listen to the B&W MT20, MT30 and KEF3005SE packages and have to say I agree with the verdict of What Hi Fi that the KEF3005SE package is better than the B&W MT20s but that the inclusion of the PV1 Sub in the MT30 package makes the MT30 the better sounding of the 3.

My problem is that although I'd love to purchase the MT30s I can't stretch my budget to £1595.00 and will therefore have to look around to see if I can find a better deal on-line (or ex-demo).

Another thought I had was to buy a set of the MT1 sattelite speakers and add a different Sub.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a resonably priced Sub that would rival the PV1 and as such reduce my outlay bringing it closer to my original £1000.00?

I'm looking at something like the BK XLS200 or XLS300 which are both substantially cheaper than the PV1 and get good write ups on the web.

Any thoughts as to whether either of these Subs would rival the PV1 and whether they would integrate correctly with the MT1 sattelites?

A

Anonymous

Please don't put .00 after your £1000 - anyone would think you work for Reader's Digest
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Nope, not Reader's Digest; I may have a box of their books though and if you're in the market for some abridged tomes you can have them for £595.00 the lot. :))

That way I won't have to try and reduce my costs.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
You can find the MT-30 for less than £1575.

I paid £1460 for mine, but that was 7.1 and included delivery. This was back in December too so you should be able to get an even better deal now (PNR audio/visual on Tottenham Ct Rd)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts