£4000 budget

ArtieBucco

Feb 18, 2023
Visit site
Hi all

I'm currently looking putting together a set up at a cost of around £4000.

Out of this I'm hoping to get a streamer/amp, turntable, speakers and cables.

I've been quoted under budget for the following, but any advice or alternatives or this set up would be really appreciated.

Naim Uniti Atom with KEF LS50 Meta Loudspeakers
Kef S2 Floor Stands
Rega Planar 1 Plus Turntable
Chord Rumour X Speaker Cable (Terminated Pair) × 1
3m Terminated pair with 4mm banana plugs

Hi all

I've been quoted under budget for the following, but any advice or alternatives or this set up would be really appreciated.

Kef S2 Floor Stands
Oooo. You could go a few ways:

Marantz PM 7000N (£700)
Dali Oberon 5 (£800)
Pro-ject Debut (£600 approx). Swap the Ortofon cartridge for something like a Goldring 1042 (£300 & something) or Clearaudio Concept (£200)

Entry-level Chord cables.

That brings it way under 3k. Spend the rest on downloads and/or vinyl.

Personally, I don’t feel the Atom is a good enough amplifier for a pair of LS50s. They’re great speakers, but need careful partnering and really driving properly in order to hear what they’re capable of. You’d be better off with a pair of Q350s.
Or if he wants to get best out of the Metas, Leema Quasar springs to mind. It's about £500 more than the Atom but, according reviews, it isn't far short of the Tucana - hugely competent all-in-one.

gasolin

if you must have Kef LS50 how about the wirelss versions for £2,082.50

Turntabel wiyth built in phonostage Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB (Black) £379 (just a little less than the reag equlant model)

Cables,stands what ever you need of your own choice,what you like ups to a total price of no more than £3000

Update so your budget is 4000 so there room in the budget for a subwoofer

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

ArtieBucco

Feb 18, 2023
Visit site
I am more than happy to spend under budget, it's a medium sized living room, I'd consider floor standers also. Just want something that sounds a joy to the ears, and if it can be done cheaper happy days. I've only had a Denon micro system with some Cambridge audio speakers until now, so I'm far from an expert on best pairings etc for my budget. So any help from you lovely folk would be appreciated.

I am more than happy to spend under budget, it's a medium sized living room, I'd consider floor standers also. Just want something that sounds a joy to the ears, and if it can be done cheaper happy days. I've only had a Denon micro system with some Cambridge audio speakers until now, so I'm far from an expert on best pairings etc for my budget. So any help from you lovely folk would be appreciated.
Look at my first suggestion. The Dalis are very compact floorstanders, ideal for medium sized room if you don't want something that's in your face - quite discreet. Dalis in general are beautifully balanced and pretty much match any amp, if my Rubicons are anything to go by.

Find yourself a Richer Sounds and demo the Marantz/Dali Oberon 5 combo and decide for yourself.

matthewpianist

One option worth auditioning if you want a tidy set-up is the all-Technics route:

• SL1500 Turntable
  • SC-A600 CD/Streamer/Amp
  • SB-C600 Speakers (or SB-G90M2 if you would prefer floor standers)
You may get some audiophile sneers at this suggestion, but having heard the set-up with both speakers I can confidently say it's extremely capable, well built and nice to use too.

Another excellent option would be a Rega based system -

• Rega Planar 3 Turntable
  • Rega Apollo CD Player
  • Rega Brio Amplifier (or an Elex Mk4 would widen your speaker possibilities, an ex-demo or pre-owned Elex-R if you can find one)

+ Bluesound Node130 streamer
+ Speakers of your choice.

My final suggestion to explore is:

• Project Debut Carbon Pro Turntable
  • Audiolab CDT CD Transport
  • NAD C700 or M10 amplifier/streamer
  • Q Acoustics Concept 30 (stand mount) or Concept 50 (floor standing) speakers
If you want to save some money on this last system you could audition the Q Acoustics 3030i (standmount) and 3050i (floor standers) speakers - both are great performers for the money.

gasolin

One option worth auditioning if you want a tidy set-up is the all-Technics route:

• SL1500 Turntable
  • SC-A600 CD/Streamer/Amp
  • SB-C600 Speakers (or SB-G90M2 if you would prefer floor standers)
You may get some audiophile sneers at this suggestion, but having heard the set-up with both speakers I can confidently say it's extremely capable, well built and nice to use too.

Another excellent option would be a Rega based system -

• Rega Planar 3 Turntable
  • Rega Apollo CD Player
  • Rega Brio Amplifier (or an Elex Mk4 would widen your speaker possibilities, an ex-demo or pre-owned Elex-R if you can find one)

+ Bluesound Node130 streamer
+ Speakers of your choice.

My final suggestion to explore is:

• Project Debut Carbon Pro Turntable
  • Audiolab CDT CD Transport
  • NAD C700 or M10 amplifier/streamer
  • Q Acoustics Concept 30 (stand mount) or Concept 50 (floor standing) speakers
If you want to save some money on this last system you could audition the Q Acoustics 3030i (standmount) and 3050i (floor standers) speakers - both are great performers for the money.

How about the concept 20 or 30 instead of the 3030i's ?

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
And another suggestion:

AudioLab 6000a Play integrated amp and streamer £850 OR AudioLab 6000a integrated amp + Wiim Mini streamer, £730.
AudioLab 6000CDT £400 or £300 with amp from Seven Oaks.
Speakers of choice

Seven Oaks do the AudioLab 6000a Play + KEF LS50 Meta speakers for £1789, they’d probably throw in the CDT for £300.

The Bluesound Powernode is very popular, it’s an amp and streamer. I don’t care for the cheap looking plastic case, but that’s subjective.

I recommend auditioning speakers at home, they can sound different in a shop, and you sometimes need some time to hear them. Give them a listen in the shop first, to save a wasted home audition. Personally I’d spend the readies on the speakers as they make the biggest difference, but that’s just me.

If vinyl is going to be a central source, don't skimp on the Planar 1+. It's good for the price, but a Planar 3 or Project Debut Carbon Pro will bring far better results.
Correct. If the amp has an inbuilt phono stage the last thing you need is the Rega 1 Plus
I guess it depends what sort of priorities the OP is putting on vinyl playback versus streaming.

Reactions: Mark Dunlop

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Hi all

Kef S2 Floor Stands

Hummm.

I think id give a listen to the below

I'd look at the NAD m10v2 (400 quid off right now so 2k) has room correction and bluOS streaming has a bit more of a punchy sound that I look for

Mission 700s £1500 with their matching stands again a punchy bold sounding that's what I look for and i think they look better (my opinion)

Rega Planar 1 Plus Turntable.

whatever speaker cables you like cheap, 79 strand QED will do the trick.

I'm sure all bought together there are further deals to be had.

Again that would be on my audition list but it may not suit you and your listening needs. As said above we could sit here and spend your 4k all day and just confuse you. Ideally, you need to speak to a dealer at least on the phone but all the above can be had online from Sevenoaks (if you're UK based think you are) and will have good return policy's

Reactions: ArtieBucco
The OP needs to start somewhere. We can throw a ton of different options but sometimes you end up not seeing the wood for the trees.

As the OP has a Denon mini system most good full-sized set-ups will better it, well within his 4k budget. It's all about what's available locally.
True, auditioning at a good dealers can be very good financially. If the full system is bought together excellent deals can be done if you haggle....

Mark Dunlop

Nov 15, 2022
Visit site
If I had a £4000 budget (I wish!) and was starting from scratch I'd probably get something like a Rega-based system as has already been mentioned.
Elex-R amp - £800
Apollo CD player - £700
Planar 2 - £500
Possibly Falcon Acoustics Q7 speakers, based on the size of your room - £1200
A Bluesound Node - £550. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a streamer and just buy a more expensive amp & better turntable cartridge because streaming services don't pay us musicians enough - but I digress.
Leaves £250 for speaker cables and interconnects. You can get cheaper speaker cable than the Chord Rumour X, certainly, and making your own interconnects is a big savings exercise.
m.d.

If I had a £4000 budget (I wish!) and was starting from scratch I'd probably get something like a Rega-based system as has already been mentioned.
Elex-R amp - £800
Apollo CD player - £700
Planar 2 - £500
Possibly Falcon Acoustics Q7 speakers, based on the size of your room - £1200
A Bluesound Node - £550. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a streamer and just buy a more expensive amp & better turntable cartridge because streaming services don't pay us musicians enough - but I digress.
Leaves £250 for speaker cables and interconnects. You can get cheaper speaker cable than the Chord Rumour X, certainly, and making your own interconnects is a big savings exercise.
m.d.
Sounds ok.except for those speakers. They are more expensive if factory built, require stands, are too small for medium sized rooms, have limited power handling etc..... But apart from that they're fine :)

Reactions: Mark Dunlop
alternatives or this set up would be really appreciated.

Kef S2 Floor Stands

Alternatively and for a significant uplift in performance swap out LS 50 Meta's and at the around the same price consider Acoustic Energy's AE1A actives paired with Naim Audio's Uniti Atom HE pre amp/streamer. No need for speaker cables just a pair of XLR - XLR interconnects between the two.

As for a T/T also look at Dual's CS418.

Reactions: WayneKerr

ArtieBucco

Feb 18, 2023
Visit site
Oooo. You could go a few ways:

Marantz PM 7000N (£700)
Dali Oberon 5 (£800)
Pro-ject Debut (£600 approx). Swap the Ortofon cartridge for something like a Goldring 1042 (£300 & something) or Clearaudio Concept (£200)

Entry-level Chord cables.

That brings it way under 3k. Spend the rest on downloads and/or vinyl.

Had this set up quoted at £2298 including the marantz cd6007.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts