£1000ish for speakers

danwood6

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone could recommened a good pair of floorstanders around £1k. The only condition is they must be finished in piano black! They'll be hooked up to a MF A300 amp in a 5x5m room.

The only set I've seen that fit the bill seem to be Mission 796, but I can't find any reviews. Your wise words are much apreciated...

John Duncan

RS6's look nice in piano black (though I don't like them
emotion-2.gif
). Totem Arros are another option nearer your budget.

Edit - oops - the Arros are piano white or black ash. Soz.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just think of all the dusting you'll have to do so do yourself a favour and buy some Rega R5's for nice music and forget about the MA's. I believe Quad do some in piano black too if thats really important but again, no match for the Regas.

danwood6

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm affraid the no 1 condition for this purchase is the finish.... no panio black no upgrade!

I would like a good sound, that way everyone is a winner ;-).

A

Anonymous

Rega R5 with some decent cable (e.g. Chord Odyssey 2). Alternatively, Sonus Faber Conerto Domus from the used market (new at £1800 but not piano finish but leather black; equally as nice). These excel beyond belief in the midrange as I proved auditioning with a single-ended valve amp.

danwood6

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
igglebert current cable is nordost superflat bi-wire. Is it really worth changing?

Like the idea of the fabers, are they not a little soft sounding? and overkill for the A300?

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't have called them soft sounding but they're very neutral. They're not going to pump out masses of bass but will give a great balance (as per the Regas really). They'll sound very clear and would withstand future amp upgrades. I heard them with a valve amp and that didn't sound soft but very natural and clear. You really need to audition them to know which makes a used purchase difficult.

With respect to your cables, I would keep them but I'm not sure if they'll have the bass of some of the others around...

John Duncan

danwood6:
Good would be nice.

I was told RS MA spks not in panio?

OK, I may be mistaken but there's a pair of piano black MA's in the sevenoaks next door and I thought they were 6s - maybe they're RS8s or something else?

Will investigate.

danwood6

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
It's not really an issue I would buy them new... Its not so much the cost as matching the system. I don't want to upgrade the amp. Its only really a stop-gap system. I hope to upgrade in a year or two to somthing like a Meridian digital theater- just waiting for some high-end makes to adopt the latest formats.

Anyway, I do like to drive my music quite hard. I would say you would most often find Massive Attack in my CD drive. I could add a sub if you think that would help.

Any ideas?

A

Anonymous

XTZ 99.26, I've yet to see better looking speakers at such affordable prices.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
It is a rare occasion that I recomended Quad speakers but the 22L should have what you are looking for including gorgeous piano finnish.

If 2nd hand or ex-demo doesn't bother you then look out for piano black Roksan FR-5 which could be the last pair of speakers you ever need.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts